Oct 17, 2010

Murray thrashed Federer to win Shanghai Open

Things are not going great for the Swiss master for sure. After being able to win only a single grand slam this year and displaying most probably the worst performance of him in the recent years, now Roger Federer has lost to Andy Murray in the final of Shanghai Open. Federer could hardly resist to Murray’s attacking game play and surrendered to the British tennis player: 6-3, 6-2.
World No. 4 Andy Murray produced a superb display Sunday as he won his sixth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Roger Federer in the final of the Shanghai Rolex Masters.   
The Scot, who clinched his place at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals earlier in the week, earned 1000 South African Airways 2010 ATP Ranking points and $616,500 in prize money.
Having lost his first three meetings in tour-level finals with Federer, including at the Australian Open in January, Murray has now won two successive finals against the Swiss; his first victory came in the final of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament in Toronto in August. He leads their head-to-head series 8-5.

"I enjoy playing him," said Murray. "I don't find it easy at all. It's incredibly difficult every time. But I love the challenge of playing against him. I don't fear playing him. Every time I go on, I know I need to play great tennis to win against him. I don't know if my game matches up well against his or not. But I've played some of my best tennis against Roger."
The 2010 season has not been really great for Murray and it was the 23 year old tennis player’s chance to rewrite his season’s performance. The match lasted for less than 90 minutes in total and denied Federer to match up to Nadal’s record of the highest ever masters’ tournament wins that is 18.
This victory improved Murray’s record to 8-5 against Federer and will move him up to the 2nd position in the world rankings behind Federer as Novak Djokovic lost to Federer in the semifinal match.

0 comments:

Post a Comment