Nov 7, 2010

Gerrard: Worst year of my career

Steven Gerrard admitted the past 12 months have been the worst of his Liverpool career as the Reds prepare to face Chelsea. 

Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash against Carlo Ancelotti's men will be a mouthwatering encounter with both teams determined to continue their surge up the table.

Liverpool's recent form has started to pick up speed having started the season struggling to climb out of the relegation zone while the Blues have stormed to the top of the table with consumate ease.
Roy Hodgson will hope that his skipper Gerrard can take his electric form into the game having come off the bench to score a hat-trick in Thursday's Europa League match against Napoli.
The Reds look doomed at half-time with Napoli taking a deserved 1-0 lead into the break until the England midfielder decided to show the world just why he is one of the best in his position with a second-half masterclass to send the Anfield faithful home with a smile on their face as Liverpool ran out 3-1 winners in the end.

Despite the win, things have still been gloomy since the arrival of new owner, John W Henry.
Gerrard revealed that the ongoings on and off the pitch affected his performances and the takeover will be the first of many stabilizing shots the club needs to get back on their feet.
In a report by The Daily Mail, Gerrard admitted:"I think the past year have been the most difficult for me since I was 18 and broke into the first team,
"It's been a difficult time to be a Liverpool player. We finished seventh in the League and there was all the stuff going on off the pitch. You would hear rumours that the takeover was going to happen, then it didn't, and it messes with your mind.
"Your mood swings when you hear different news at different times. I was always kept updated and told to be patient and, in the end, the takeover did happen. The debt has gone off the club, and as people say, it is a new era with new owners, a new manager and results are starting to turn and improve. So, yeah, I'm a lot more confident that things will be brighter moving forward."
However, the England star knows that it will take time for the Reds revival to be completed.
He added:"I'm not naive enough to think it's all about me or other players coming towards the final part of their careers. This club will be here for many years so I think the right thing is to build for the future, bring young talent in, sort the scouting system out from top to bottom and, in my opinion, merge the Academy and Melwood, where the first team train.
"From a selfish point of view, I also want a short-term fix. I think the Americans have got the right idea to build a platform for this club for many years to come but, of course, when I speak to them, I'm going to be wanting the quick fix. I've got four or five years left at this level and I want to win trophies before I finish, because that's what I go to work for."
As for his own future at the club, Gerrard who has been part of the Liverpool system since making his debut 12 years ago was quick to suggest that he is not looking for a move away from Anfield.
"There have been opportunities in the past to move on, Chelsea and other times as well, but I love this club," added Gerrard. "But I wouldn't call it a sacrifice. Playing and captaining Liverpool is more living a dream than making a sacrifice. I want to stay and be successful because when that day comes, I know it will mean an awful lot more to me. I love it here.
"As a young kid, I used to come to European nights at Anfield and dream of playing in front of this crowd and winning big games."
Can Gerrard and a seemingly resurgent Fernando Torres inspire the home team to a victory over Chelsea? Liverpool fans will certainly be praying for the lethal duo to be at the best.
What do you think will happen in tonight's match? Can Liverpool snatch victory or will Chelsea continue their impressive start to the season? Then again, a draw might just be the outcome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment